Center for the Arts, 122 W Broadway Street Hobbs, New Mexico 88240 US 575-397-ARTS (2787)
firstname.lastname@example.org Hours of Operation: Tues-Fri. 11-7pm, Sat. 10-4pm
Battle of the Bands Rules
Calling all bands and musicians! As part of the 2017 Downtown Sounds Summer Concert Series, the Lea County Commission for the Arts, Hobbs Hispano Chamber of Commerce, Hobbs Chamber of Commerce and City of Hobbs present… Battle of the Bands!
Six bands will be selected to compete for prizes in front of a panel of judges. Selected bands will be given a maximum of fifteen minutes each to play no more than 3 songs, including:
1. An original song by the band
2. An option of either another original song or cover song of the band’s choice
3. A cover of a song by the late great King of Pop, Michael Jackson. The choice of a Michael Jackson cover song is up to the band and can be modified into whatever style of music the band chooses to present.
Although the competition will be judged by a panel of judges, a large part of the judging will be based on crowd participation. Competition prizes include free studio recording time at the New Mexico Junior College’s new musical technology studio, as well as the opportunity to perform in front of thousands of people during the 2017 Hobbs August Nites Downtown Sounds summer concert.
- All music must be family-friendly and appropriate for all audiences.
- All lyrics for potential songs to be performed during the Battle of the Bands competition must be submitted and approved prior to the event.
- Selected bands will not be able to switch out their songs once submitted and approved.
o Any bands that choose to do so will be automatically disqualified.
- The competition is open to bands of all ages and of all genres.
- Bands that already have a record deal are not permitted to apply.
- Selected bands will be permitted to bring and sell their own merchandise during the competition, per the 2017 Battle of the Bands committee’s approval.
Downtown Sounds will provide stage, sound, drums, base, and keyboard. The Bands will be responsible for any other equipment such as guitars and pedals. For a full list of equipment provided call the Center for the Arts at 397-2787.
Important dates to remember:
· The deadline to register online is June 29th, 2017 at 7pm (MST).
o No late submissions will be accepted.
· Bands selected and not selected for the competition will both receive notification by Friday, July 7th, 2017 at 7pm (MST), regarding their status.
· Six bands will be selected to compete for prizes in front of a panel of judges on Saturday, July 29th, 2017 from 6-9pm on the Shipp Street Plaza.
· The winning performer/group will perform at the 2017 Hobbs August Nites Downtown Sounds summer concert on Saturday, August 19th, 2017 from 6-9 p.m. on the Shipp Street Plaza.
The 2017 Downtown Sounds Battle of the Bands competition is FREE and open to the public. Guests of all ages are welcome. Food and drink vendors will be available on site.
· Make sure to invite all of your friends, family members, and fan base! Remember to bring your lawn chairs!
So, come join us on the plaza as we prepare to present the first-ever Downtown Sounds Summer Concert Series Battle of the Bands!
The Battle of the Bands concert is sponsored by the Hobbsevents.org. For more information, please call (575) 397-ARTS or visit HobbsEvents.org. More details about the competition, including the application for the 2017 Downtown Sounds Battle of the Bands competition can be found online at the following link:
Are you an out-of-town guest staying over night for one of our events? Looking for an affordable yet luxurious hotel in which to lodge. We've got the perfect deal for you! Receive a special discount on your hotel nights in Hobbs by lodging at one of our choice hotels in Hobbs: Hilton Garden Inn, Baymont Inn & Suites, Hampton Inn & Suites, Fairfield Inn & Suites or TownePlace Suites. Just ask for the Center for the Arts discount when booking!